Friday 8 April 2011

Twite brighten up a misty morning

My first ever Great Orme Twite cetainly made the early morning worth while. My heart sunk when I saw the mist shrouded headland at first light, but luckily the northern edge remained mist free. A constant stream of birds passed below the Old Cafe area between 6.45 and 8.30am. Highlight was certainly the 12 Twite than flew below me at close range - buzzing, chirping and wheezing away and showing their lovely rosy rumps and they flew west. Although not an Orme first, they were a long overdue Orme tick for me. 3 Crossbill, 12+ Redpoll, 10+ Siskin, 3 Tree Pipits, 150+ Meadow Pipits and 7 Swallows also joined the westward passage. Grounded birds included 3 Blackcap, 2 willow warblers, 2 Chiff-chaff and 3 Wheatears. On the sea there were a feeding flock of 30+ Gannets just offshore.

No comments:

Post a Comment